WHO WE ARE
New York Open Center
22 East 30th Street
New York, NY 10016
Phone: (212) 219-2527 ext. 102
Fax: (212) 226-4056
We are a collaborative initiative that seeks to empower a new generation of thought leaders and practitioners with the goal of implementing fresh perspectives and solutions to death and dying. Such thought leaders and practitioners understand the need for our culture to emerge from the denial of death that produces an overly materialistic and medicalized approach to dying. We seek to identify and implement viable solutions that represent and meet an emerging societal demand for a more integrative, holistic, spiritually diverse, culturally supportive and informed approach to death and dying and, in turn, living. An important goal of the Art of Dying Institute is to find practical ways to return a sense of the sacred to death itself, and to all the stages leading up to it.
We firmly believe, based on twenty years of experience that nothing short of a collaborative effort will bring our society closer to realizing a more compassionate and holistic understanding of the dying process.
Compassion toward the dying and the living is at the heart of the Institute’s approach and is a core value of all spiritual traditions.
The Art of Dying Institute is uniquely positioned to lead the exploration of these profound issues due to its commitment to a transformative, holistic worldview and its engagement with national and international thought leaders.
The history of the Art of Dying Conferences is one of excellence and professionalism. We have worked with the finest speakers and researchers in the world and consider the very high quality of our programs to be one of our hallmarks that informs our role and engagement.
The Art of Dying Institute draws upon a broad range of spiritual traditions and cultural perspectives. It is an ecumenical embracing of diversity.
Legacy & the Transformative Power of Giving
We believe that any individual, foundation or institution interested in alleviating human suffering can and should invest in an integrative and holistic approach to death and dying, The Art of Dying Institute takes a results-oriented approach and rigorously monitors its investments. We are always mindful of the trust donors have placed in the Art of Dying Institute and are deeply committed to the responsible planning and management of assets.
Our vision is that our culture can awaken to a deeper and more conscious engagement with death and dying and that individuals and families can face death with as little fear or uncertainty as possible.
Our Mission is to build and support an engaged community that will play an essential role in the profound task of reshaping the understanding of and approach to death, how we die and, in turn, how we live.
- We will offer holistic courses, workshops, advanced training programs and professional certification taught by experts and practitioners;
- We will create opportunities for and actively support progressive research exploring spiritual, scientific and practical approaches to death and dying;
- We will provide national and international forums for meaningful community exchange, discussion, information dissemination, and engagement;
- We will partner with front line practitioners, coalitions and organizations, including hospice, palliative care units, hospitals and medical centers, universities, associations, foundations, related non and for-profit organizations and other key stakeholders to identify and implement effective solutions; and
- We will solicit investments at scale and mobilize funding and other resources that support a holistic and transformative approach to death and dying.